About Me

My photo
Occasional ramblings and writings. Occasional being the optimal word.

Monday, September 12, 2011

I've done a lot of livin'

One week ago, I turned 32 years old. Upon learning this fact, my cousin’s friend Devin’s response was my favorite.

Dev: How old are you today?
Me: Thirty two
Dev: Daaang.
Me: Thanks?

After I laughed, he said it wasn’t because he thought 32 is old (it’s surprisingly young, by the way), but rather the fact that I don’t really look that “old.” I guess he’s right. Other than the racing stripes of gray hair on my head, I don’t “look” 32. I’m not really sure what 32 looks like anyway.

Besides not looking 32, I can tell you I surely don’t act 32, but again, what does 32 act like? I digress. That’s another topic for another day.

 The whole point of this post is to offer some unsolicited advice I’ve picked up along my 32-year journey.

Feel free to add to the list either here or on my Facebook.

  1. Wear sunscreen. Oh, wait. That one's taken. Nevermind.
  2. Learn from mistakes--not just yours, but other people's too.
  3. Don't be ashamed of your taste in music, movies, or TV shows, and don't judge anyone else's.
  4. Don't spend more money on clothes than on other basic needs.
  5. Watch your favorite movie(s) at least once a year.
  6. Watch Planes, Trains, and Automobiles at least once. If it doesn't make you laugh, you're not human.
  7. Share gum if you have it (I hear the same goes for weed, but I can't verify that).
  8. Take gum when it's offered because it probably means you have bad breath.
  9. Do your homework.
  10. Remember people's birthdays.
  11. Reach for the check once in a while (and maybe even pay for it).
  12. Usually, the line with the fewest people in it is not the fastest.
  13. Don't get into someone else's car and mess with the radio.
  14. Be on time.
  15. Take pictures.
  16. Don't take friends for granted. They don't have to hang out with you.
  17. Give generously of your time, it's the most valuable thing you can give. and don't waste other people's time.
  18. Find something bigger than yourself to believe in.
  19. Watch cartoons once in a while.
  20. There's almost always room for ice cream.
  21. Eat more fruits and vegetables.
  22. Patience is indeed a virtue.
  23. Read more (I'm just giving the advice. I didn't say I was following it)
  24. Listen more than you speak.
  25. Take road trips with good friends.
  26. Spend time with people who make you laugh till you cry.
  27. Do something creative.
  28. Tip like a Rockefeller when you get good service. (Tomas coined this phrase)
  29. When someone asks how you are, sometimes a simple "Fine" will suffice.
  30. Don't wear a red shirt and khaki pants to Target.
  31. Ask for help with something if you need it.
  32. Don't take any shi* from anybody.
     
     
     

1 comment:

  1. Dance in the rain...run and jump In puddles...make sailboats and paper hats out of the sunday funnies...watch cats-the animals not the play...be licked in the face by a dog if only once...GO TO APTOS FOR EXTRA GAME NIGHT...HAVE FAITH

    ReplyDelete